Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Unconvering U.S. Army Cargo Ship - BALI INDONESIA

(click here for my diving catalogue)

I finally went to Bali for diving, I have been avoiding Bali for very long time (personal reasons).  When I was searching for dive sites in Bali, the first thing that showed up is the LIBERTY SHIPWRECK (Max Dept:  30 Meters).

Since I took my advanced dive license in Koh Tao Thailand, I was fascinated with shipwrecks.  Most of my diver friends, shipwreck is their least favorite because its eerie, dark and most of the time cold since most shipwrecks are below 25 meters.

Also, I finally learned how to adjust the white balance using my Canon S95 underwater... yeepeee.. I was able to take a lot of photos, not perfect but still good.  My previous dives, I used my GoPro Hero4 Silver.  You can find my dive videos here.

Anyway, this blog is meant to have more photos than words... but before that, may I share a little bit of history I found in wikipedia.

USAT Liberty was a United States Army cargo ship torpedoed by Japanese submarine I-166 in January 1942 and beached on the island of Bali. She had been built as a Design 1037 ship for the United States Shipping Board in World War I and had served in the United States Navy in that war as animal transport USS Liberty (ID-3461). She was also notable as the first ship constructed at Federal Shipbuilding, Kearny, New Jersey. In 1963 a volcanic eruption moved the ship off the beach, and Liberty‍ '​s wreck is now a popular dive site.

By the way, I am not into marco photography underwater (yet) because this requires skill, good buoyancy control otherwise photos will come out blurry.  I'm still learning, I'll keep practicing...

BUT I love, REALLY LOVE, taking underwater seascape...

iDiveToday: Planning a Dive in Bali Indonesia

Here are some sea creatures I manage capture (I dont know the names - I will soon buy a book).



The wreck is really old, its difficult to figure out the shape anymore... its like broken into pieces which is good because that allows divers to swim inside the ship.













 



From the whole dive experience in Tulamben Bali, one image that amazed me is this woman carrying 2 dive gears (INCLUDING FULL AIR TANKS) balancing it on her head, walking from one end of the beach to another.  I can barely carry my full set of dive gear with tank, its no joke its heavy.. and this woman... is super woman....



Tulamben is a shore dive, no need for boats...






My dive itinerary in Bali, total 6 dives:
Day 1 - 3 dives in Manta Point & Nusa Penida | Dive Instructor/Guide:  Amin
Day 2 - 3 dives in Tulamben (where Liberty Shipwreck is) | Dive Instructor/Guide: Gusde Wade


When you are planning to dive in Bali, may I recommend Crystal Divers
Else Poulsen helped me a lot in arranging and managing my dive itinerary.


CRYSTAL DIVERS
Jl. Tamblingan no. 168. Sanur, Bali, Indonesia, 80228
Telephone/fax: +62 361 286737
Email: info@crystal-divers.com
www.crystal-divers.com
se.crystal-divers.com/
www.goprobali.com
www.goprobali.se


Other Scuba Diving Adventures and Underwater Photos:
   TOMIA ADVENTURES - Wakatobi Indonesia
   BALINESE MANTA RAYS - Bali Indonesia
   A CLOSE UP WITH A HAWKSBILL TURTLE - Bunaken Manado Indonesia
   MY FIRST TIME TO DIVE IN THE PHILIPPINES - Anilao Batangas Philippines
   MANTA RAYS DECIDED TO TAKE A DAY OFF - Manta Point & Nusa Penida Bali 
   UNCOVERING U.S. ARMY CARGO SHIP - Tulamben Bali) 
   STROLLING AROUND CORAL GARDEN - Tulamben Bali)

Underwater Videos:
   UNDERWATER WORLD Video Playlist

My Beautiful Life Adventure continues at....
   http://mybeautifullifeadventure.tumblr.com
   https://www.youtube.com/MsDeviant
   https://msdeviant.blogspot.com
   http://idivetoday.blogspot.com
   Follow me on INSTAGRAM: @icqnd


No comments:

Post a Comment